2011-10-31

YUM part 1: Quick Bread!

Anybody who knows me knows I LOVE to cook and bake. So I think I might start sharing some of my favorite recipes here. The things I make are pretty simple and homey and usually kind of healthy!


This recipe is for a really yummy quick bread. You can use pureed pumpkin or mashed bananas. I have not tried other things yet but I reckon it would be good with other fruit and veg too! Maybe yams? The best part is that this quick bread is really good for you, with only like 120 kcal in a serving and almost NO fat...and it doesn't even taste healthy! (Sam even liked it which is saying something). It's great for breakfast or a snack or dessert.

YUMMY QUICK BREAD

Ingredients

3/4 cup wholemeal flour
3/4 cup white flour
1/4 cup soft brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 egg
1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 bananas) OR pureed pumpkin OR whatever else
1/4 cup apple sauce or apple puree
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 F or 175 C. Oil and flour a loaf tin.
2. Mix all the flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, and cinnamon in a big bowl.
3. Put all the rest of the ingredients in the bowl and mix until JUST combined.
4. Pour it in the loaf tin. You can put stuff on top like sliced bananas or oats if you want!
5. Bake for about 50-55 minutes. Check if it's ready by sticking a knife into the middle, and if it comes out with no raw batter on it it's ready!
6. Let it cool a bit on a wire rack before taking it out the tin, and ENJOY YUMMY QUICK BREAD GUILT-FREE!

Notes: I like to use both white and wholemeal flour because it tastes good and is better for you, but you can just use white if you want.
In UK you can usually find canned pumpkin puree in Whole Foods, otherwise it's easy to make yourself by baking pumpkin slices until really mushy on the inside and taking the skin off and mashing.
In London it seems difficult to find apple puree in the store so I just boiled some cooking apples and drained and mashed them. Good to keep for a snack too!
If you don't feel like buying almond extract, you can substitute with another tsp of vanilla.
You can put nuts or raisins or chocolate chips in the batter if you want! Stir them in right before you pour into the tin.


Here's a really shitty picture I took with my BB of the banana loaf I made today! 

I think it might be the wholemeal flour, but just a little bit of this stuff makes me really full! It's perfect for someone with a horrible sweet tooth like me. Wholemeal flour is good for you because it releases its energy slowly so it keeps you full and energised for longer. I really recommend trying it! It is more flavorful as white flour as well, and has a kind of a nice nutty flavor.

tata for now! xoxo

1 comment:

  1. i love that you are publishing your receipts now. hehe.

    ReplyDelete